Friday, January 22, 2010

HDR Experimentation


I have been experimenting with HDR (high dynamic range) photography for a few days now. I'm using a trial version of Photomatix (which is why their watermark appears on the following pictures). The concept of HDR is to increase the dynamic range of a captured image by taking three pictures with different exposures (normal, under, over). The software merges the three exposures and allows various adjustments to achieve the desired effect.

The last few days have been cloudy and rainy, so I have tried to capture some of the cloud features. In this first picture, I was able to enhance some of the cloud detail, however I don't like the focus. Everything is out of focus except for the edge of the house on the right. This shot was taken from the front steps of our house.




Here is another attempt at capturing the clouds from our front steps. I like the focused detail of the trees, houses and mountains better than the previous shot. But the clouds changed enough to loose the details from the previous shot.




Here is a shot later in the day taken from our front balcony. From this spot, I was able to get a better angle on the mountains and our temporary lake. I processed this in a way to make the clouds "pop". It ends up making the foreground landscape appear like a painting, but the look of the clouds make it worth it.




This was taken at the Arizona Museum of Natural History. I used the "Natural" setting within Photomatix to show the details that would otherwise be hidden in the shadows. The only thing I don't like about this is the overall "hazy" feel.



This is what a "normal" exposure of the T-rex looks like.


After using the Tone Mapping feature, the details are visible in the previously overexposed areas (T-rex clavicle and left arm).



This one left me speachless.



No comments:

Post a Comment